We’re building the home for modern Catholics.
Dear friend, the times we live in right now feel like they’re pressing us to breaking point.
But for some, pressure is exactly what’s needed to create wine, or diamonds.
Many of us are frustrated at the effects of the global lockdown. But for some, it was never a shutdown. And when many of us were forced apart, we found new ways to come together.
Catholics in the modern world live in an incredible moment in history. We live in a space age, overlaid with social media, and filled with surprising sanctity. Who we are called to be is something the world has never seen.
We’re called to be modern Catholics. And Pope Francis is setting an example for us to follow.
So we decided there are 3 problems that we want to solve for the world:
- Faithful Catholics feel like bystanders, watching the world fall apart around us, and unsure where to go for friendship and support.
- Teachers and creators struggle to make a living doing what they do best – building up the Church of the future, bringing hope and education.
- Pope Francis’ vision for us today is to be first-responders in a field hospital, living lives fully in love with Christ, and fully lived in Christ – in the modern world.
Who are ‘we’? A team of 3 volunteers who love our Faith, and have the grit, creativity, and hope to stand up and start doing something. We’re not waiting for donations or ‘venture capital’.
We’re small and scrappy. And we’re excited to dream big with you.
Our solution is to find ways to connect people, create new things, and collaborate together.
Connect: We are a human family, and the Church is a single body. We must find ways to come together in kindness, and inspire each other. Our community is united by the Holy Father. We can regroup, make friends, and enrich our faith.
Create: The Church needs the new voices to rise up and share their dreams and insights. We are building a way to connect indie speakers and creators to ordinary people, so that we can all discover exciting new talent through conferences, Academies, and workshops.
Collaborate: We must work together to build a better world. Partners, creators, and faithful Catholics can support each other, and live lives that are open to the creative, collaborative genius of the Holy Spirit.
Thanks to you incredible gifts and support in 2020, here’s what we’re working on:
- Build the most exciting, free community for Catholics online, free of trolls and ads and toxicity, to connect you with inspirational creators.
- Craft the most exciting Catholic conferences in the world to meet teachers and experts, and make friends with plenty of Catholics who think like you. Every month!
- Bring you an Academy for regular talks and workshops to help you go deep in the Faith, and get the confidence to say what you mean!
- Create a marketplace for Catholics to sell skills and services, so that we can support our global community, and make income.
Here are some of our even more audacious goals for the future:
- Host talent shows to highlight the exciting and unique creativity of Catholic youth around the world.
- Create a studio to fuel teams of eager Catholics to work making movies, series, documentaries, and shows.
- Continue building a Catholic ‘Netflix’ for constant inspiration and insights from creators around the world.
What does it take to become a first-responder?
We need to see examples of people stepping up, being creative, and generous. Then we need confidence that we have the right tools and support. And lastly, we need the inner joy that comes from being alive in Christ.
The world needs what you have to give. And a smart Catholic is someone excited to be calm, confident, and magnetic.
We can’t build this future without you. Join us, and support us at any amount each month.
May God richly bless you and yours,
Dominic de Souza
Founder of SmartCatholics
Yes! I want to be a part of this!
Note: SmartCatholics is not a non-profit at this time. We do not provide tax-deductible receipts.
“Let us not give up on great dreams.
Let us not settle only for what is necessary. The Lord does not want us to narrow our horizons or to remain parked on the roadside of life. He wants us to race boldly and joyfully towards lofty goals. God made us capable of dreaming, so that we could embrace the beauty of life.
– Pope Francis, Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
King of the Universe – Sunday, 22 November 2020